Did you know?
- There are almost 2 million cars on Irish roads.
- Most people can walk 1km in 10 minutes.How far do you travel to school and how do you get here?
We use a lot of energy getting from place to place, in cars, planes, buses and trains. Cars burn petrol or diesel and give off carbon dioxide in their exhaust fumes. Carbon dioxide is one of the greenhouse gases which are causing climate change.
What can we do?
- Don’t travel by car for short journeys.
- Try walking or cycling more, it’s great for your health!
- Use public transport rather than taking a lift.
- Car pool or share when going to school or work.
- Provide information on public transport in your area e.g. buses, trains, the DART or the Luas.
- Organise cycle training for your school.
- Campaign to provide bicycle parking.
- Organise walking or cycling clubs to travel to school, explaining how it’s good for the environment.
- Encourage your parents and teachers to car pool or share lifts.
- Think before you fly - travelling by plane produces a lot of carbon dioxide. Could you travel by boat or train, or stay in Ireland for your family holiday.