Unit 1 - Test Yourself
Attempt each question first, before accessing the solutions within the unit.
Question 01 : Define Work
Question 02 : Name and define the unit of work
Question 03 : In the formula W = Fs explain what each symbol stands for
Question 04 : Calculate the work done when a force of 15 newtons acts through a distance of 15 metres in the direction of the force.
Question 05 : Calculate the work done when a force of 5 kN acts through a distance of 25 cm in the direction of the force.
Question 06 : A car of mass 1600 kg accelerates at 4 m s-2 from rest. How much work is done after it has travelled 500 metres?
Question 07 : Express the joule in basic units
Question 08 : A student of mass 50 kg climbs steadily up a rope for a distance of 4 m. Find the work done. (Given g = 9.8 m s-2)
Question 09 : Leaving Certificate [Higher Level] question and answer
The diagram shows the fores acting on an aircraft travelling horizontally at a constant speed through the air.
L is the upward force acting on the aircraft
W is the weight of the aircraft
T is the force due to the engines
R is the force due to air resistance
- What happens to the aircraft when the force Lis greater than the weight of the aircraft?
- What happens to the aircraft when the force Tis greater than the force R?
- The force T exerted by the engines is 20 000 N. Calculate the work done by the engines while the aircraft travels a distance of 500 km
- The aircraft was travelling at a speed of 60ms-1when it landed on the runway. It took two minutes to stop. Calculate the acceleration of the aircraft while coming to a stop.
- The aircraft had a mass of 50 000 kg. What was the force required to stop the aircraft?
- Explain what would happen to the passengers if they were not wearing seat belts while the aircraft was landing.
Unit 1 - Revision Summary
Answers to Test yourself