Advertising of BER
Advertising of BER - Guidelines
S.I. 243 of 2012 European Union (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations, 2012 makes provisions for the inclusion of BER information in property sale and rental advertisements. The regulations also mandate that the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) as the designated Issuing Authority shall publish guidelines as to how Building Energy Rating (BER) details would be conveyed such advertisements.
A summary of the provisions are:
- A person offering a property for sale or rent on or after 9th January 2013, or their agent, shall ensure that the energy performance indicator of the current BER certificate for the building is stated in any advertisements, where such advertisements are taken relating to the sale or letting of that building.
- Prospective buyers and renters will be shown the BER rating (Alphanumeric value) along with other prescribed content (dependent on the particular medium) in a prominent location in each specific advertisement
- Where images of the property are used then the presentation of the alphanumeric value will be by way of the prescribed BER Alphanumeric Rating Motif for the particular property rating
- The BER Alphanumeric Rating Motif artwork files will be made available in electronic format from the SEAI website or on request to firstname.lastname@example.org
These requirements apply to advertisements, meaning a public announcement in: newspaper, magazine, brochure, leaflet, advertising notice, vehicle, radio, television, internet (including apps and social media) and direct mail.
See S.I. 243 of 2012 for detailed regulatory requirements and definitions.
Below please find the detailed Advertising Guidelines and the necessary artwork files to allow all parties fulfil their obligations.
BER Advertising Guidelines (PDF)
A Rating artwork files (ZIP)
B Rating artwork files (ZIP)
C Rating artwork files (ZIP)
D Rating artwork files (ZIP)
E Rating artwork files (ZIP)
F Rating artwork files (ZIP)
G Rating artwork files (ZIP)
The zip files are compressed folders containing several folders and files. The zip file can be opened using most data compression tools, such as WinZip. The Zip file contains both EPS and PNG file types. The PNG file type can be viewed using most graphic viewers while the EPS file is generally only viewed using illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator etc.
To view the images:
- Click on a link e.g. 'A Rating artwork files (ZIP)', depending on the setup of your system you should be able to view or download the files contained within the ZIP file.
- Open the 'A_BER' folder.
- Open the folder 'A_BER_RGB_Web_and_PC' (Note. in order to view the motifs immediately, the 'Web_and_PC' folder must be selected to view or download)
- Open either the dual or single folder, depending on the type required.
- Open the 'PNG' folder.
Double click on the rating that you want to view. This should open automatically in your default image viewer, if not you should consult with your system administrator or an IT specialist.