DEAP 4.2.0 is the new tool for carrying out domestic Building Energy Ratings (BER) assessments.
About DEAP 4.2.0
DEAP 4.2.0 is a web-based tool for producing Building Energy Ratings and completing BER assessments. The DEAP 4.2.0 online tool includes updates to the DEAP Methodology (version 4.2.0), feedback received from BER Assessors and enhanced system performance.
Note: SEAI recommend the use of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge as your browser when using DEAP 4.2.0.Access DEAP 4.2.0
The Eircode is now a mandatory input within the DEAP software. Where an Eircode is unavailable, for example for a New Provisional Building Energy Rating, the default of A65 F4E2 should be used.
Roadmap for updates to DEAP 4.2.0
The rollout of DEAP 4.2.0 online tool and methodology will be done in three stages (dates can be subject to change). SEAI advise all users of DEAP to read the notice below so that they are informed of the changes being implemented to the BER program in Q3, 2019.
Download the notice below with key dates and implementation information on the rollout of DEAP 4.2.0
DEAP 4.2.0 Resources
Manual & Workbook
The DEAP 4.2.1 Manual (2019) is applicable to new and existing dwellings for compliance checking with Part L of the Irish Building Regulations 2019.
Note: the previous DEAP Manual (version 3.2.1) must be used by BER Assessors when demonstrating compliance with previous versions of Part L of the Irish Building Regulations or when publishing BER assessments on SEAIs National Administration System (NAS), until notified otherwise by SEAI.
Survey Guide & Form
This guidance and survey form is to assist BER Assessors in recording the survey information necessary for input into the DEAP software.
DEAP 4.2.0 Release Bulletin
A number of changes have been made to the DEAP methodology. These changes will be introduced in the DEAP 4.2.0 software, so BERs published using DEAP 4.2.0 will have to take account of them.Download DEAP 4.2 Release Guidance Bulletin
DEAP 4.2.0 Online Training Materials
The DEAP 4.2.0 online training materials have been designed for users accessing the tool for the first time or looking to build familiarity with the new online tool.
- DEAP 4.2.0 Overview Presentation: getting started with DEAP 4.2.0, its new features, layout and functions.
How to use the training materials:
These training materials are presented as case studies on example dwellings and will bring users through the completion of a DEAP 4.2.0 assessment using the online tool. The presentation includes a walkthrough of the tool and functionalities, while the supporting documentation provides the inputs needed to complete the assessment.
Case Study 1
- DEAP 4.2.0 Case Study 1: walkthrough presentation of case study 1, covering the completion of an assessment using the tool from start from finish. This presentation is supported by the Case Study 1 inputs document found below.
- Case Study 1 Inputs: document including all the inputs needed to complete the case study 1 assessment in DEAP
- Case Study 1 Survey Form: completed survey form for case study 1
- Case Study 1 Dwelling Sketch
Case Study 2
- DEAP 4.2.0 Case Study 2: walkthrough presentation of case study 1, covering the completion of an assessment using the tool from start from finish. This presentation is supported by the Case Study 1 inputs document found below.
- Case Study 2 Inputs: document including all the inputs needed to complete the case study 1 assessment in DEAP
- Case Study 2 Survey Form & Dwelling Sketch: a completed survey form for case study 2
Additional Training Materials
Features of DEAP 4.2.0
DEAP 4.2.0 has a number of system upgrades that have increased the functionality of the tool. Some of the key features include:
- Easily accessible web-based platform with an integrated storage facility for documentary evidence
- Improved user-friendly interface based on BER Assessor feedback
- Optimised data entry
- Improved display of information to aid the checking of inputs
- Results provided earlier in survey process to inform fabric design and retrofit
- Removed requirement for room-by-room data entry
- Enhanced system performance, responsiveness and loading times
- Integrated Heat Pump calculation
- Methodology changes and TGD L 2019 compliance checks
Key Changes to the DEAP 4.2.0 Calculation
DEAP 4.2.0 integrates updates to the DEAP Methodology. Some of these key changes within the tool include:
- Changes to the renewable contribution calculation for new dwelling Part L compliance
- Renewable Energy Ration (RER)
- TGD L 2019 compliance checks for new dwellings
- Changes to the water heating energy demand calculation to take account of:
- Updated occupancy rate
- Shower types and presence of baths
- Electricity used by electric showers
- Low water use fittings (refer to Appendix I of DEAP Manual 4.2.0 draft for water efficiency calculation methodology)
- Changes to the lighting demand calculation to take account of:
- Different lighting designs
- New high-performance light fittings such as LEDs
- Changes to the ventilation heat loss calculation to take account of:
- Uninsulated MVHR ductwork outside of the dwelling thermal envelope