Domestic and non-domestic BER assessor examinations can be taken nationwide. New candidates must pass the appropriate exam to become a BER or DEC Assessor.
Your eligibility ID
New candidates and existing registered assessors require an eligibility ID to book an examination.
- Existing assessors will automatically receive an eligibility ID by email 3 months before their next examination due date.
- New candidates are automatically issued with an eligibility ID when the training course provider submits their list of successful training course candidates to SEAI.
- Candidates seeking to register as non-domestic BER assessors should submit a completed Request for Non Domestic BER Examination Eligibility Number form to the BER Helpdesk
Book your exam
The domestic and non-domestic BER examinations are administered by Prometric on behalf of SEAI. The examination can be taken at any of the Prometric Test Centre locations throughout the country.
- Find your nearest exam centre on the Prometric website
- Book your BER examination on the Prometric website or by phone. Tel: 042 682 5678
- Pay the examination fee of €100 + VAT. Payment to Prometric can be made using Visa or MasterCard. Please have your card details ready when booking your exam.
If a candidate has special requirements, such as reading difficulties, they can be provided with one extra hour to sit their examination. This is intended to limit the impact of the candidate's special requirements on their examination performance, while not giving the candidate any unfair advantage.
To apply for extra time please
- Download and complete the DBER 02 Special Requirement Application Form
- Submit the form with formal evidence of your special requirement to the BER Helpdesk
If you have received an eligibility ID and have special requirements, please complete the form above, submit it to SEAI, and you will receive an updated eligibility ID.
Rescheduling or cancellation of exams
- Reschedule or cancel your examination online
- Call 042 682 5678
Rescheduling and cancellation fees
|21 or more working days before exam date||No fee||Full refund|
|5-20 working days before scheduled exam date||€25 (+VAT) fee||Refund less €25 (+VAT)|
|0-4 working days before scheduled exam date||N/A||No refund available and eligibility ID* cancelled|
|Failure to appear for your exam||N/A||No refund available and eligibility ID* cancelled|
|Arrival after scheduled exam time||N/A||Admission will be refused, no refund available, and eligibility ID* cancelled|
Book, reschedule, cancel or appeal exams
Call 042 682 5678 or email email@example.com
New eligibility ID for repeat examinations
Call 1890 252 738 anytime after the day your exam was scheduled.