A grant scheme for Dairy Farmers who wish to reduce costs and increase profitability. SEAI provide financial support for investing in energy efficient vacuum and milk pump technology.
About the scheme
* Please note the 2019 Dairy Farm Grant has now closed for applications.*
Energy efficiency can help dairy farms to cut costs, which frees up resources that can be invested in more productive activities. Energy efficiency also strengthens dairy farms by helping to increase their resilience to fluctuating milk prices.
For the past two years, SEAI have collaborated with Teagasc to run a scheme for dairy farmers that has offered grant support for more efficient vacuum and milk pumps.
The grant will provide financial support for the installation of variable speed drive vacuum and milk pump technology. Farmers who are interested in investing in energy saving technology and promoting the 'Green' capability of Irish agriculture are sure to reap the cost saving benefits.
Please note: the grant is only available for the replacement or retrofit of existing vacuum and milk pumps.
Benefits of the scheme
Farmers who have participated in the Dairy Farm Grant Scheme in the past have reported:
- Reduced running costs of vacuum pump/milk pump system
- Reduced noise
- Improved vacuum
- Reduced maintenance
It’s friendlier to the environment, there is no oil in it, its cleaner and it’s safer. It’s an investment the first day but over four or five years it will have paid for itself and after that it’s saving you a lot of money.
|Max grant level (%)||Maximum level of support (€) excluding VAT||Maximum level of support (€) excluding VAT|
|Vacuum System Grant Aid||Single Phase electricity supply||Three Phase electricity supply|
|Replacement VSD + Vacuum Unit (VSD, controls, motor and pump)||40%||€5,000||€3,000|
VSD + Motor (VSD, controls and motor retrofitted to existing vacuum pump
|Milk System Grant Aid|
VSD + Milk Pump Unit (VSD, and if required: controls and/or motor and/or pump)
VSD + Motor (VSD, retrofitted to existing milk pump, and if required: controls and/or motor)
Who should apply
The scheme is open to all dairy farmers supplying all major cooperatives. All herd sizes are covered, and both single and three phase electricity supply is eligible.
To be considered, applicants must:
- Have a supplier number and be currently engaged in milk production, and
- Be registered with the Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine under the Bovine Tuberculosis Eradication Scheme as a herd owner or herd keeper, or be a holder of another Department identifier.
How to apply
Please note the 2019 Dairy Farm Grant has now closed for applications.
Useful support materials
If you are interested in additional ways to save energy on your dairy farm you may want to review the resources below, which provide information on what technologies and behaviours are likely to be most suitable for your farm.
- The Dairy Energy Decision Support Tool is a collaborative initiative between SEAI, Teagsc and the Cork Institute of Technology. The tool can help you to make decisions regarding energy consumption on your farm by calculating your likely payback periods and cost savings attributed to different technologies.
- The Dairy Farm Infrastructure Handbook, developed by Teagasc, is a guide for dairy farmers who are considering upgrading their existing farm infrastructure.
Information for installers and suppliers
We have developed a presentation to assist dairy pump suppliers and installers with the application and installation process. You can access it here: https://youtu.be/_qGNdOVoiZY
- Guidance on Safe Electric (RECI) cert completion
- Commissioning cert template
- Sample commissiong certificate
If you have any questions about your application please contact us on:
Call 01 808 2100