SMEs can save up to 90% of their lighting electricity costs by upgrading to energy efficient lighting.
About the lighting support scheme for SMEs
In 2017, we piloted a new smart lighting grant, for small and medium-sized enterprises. Over 60 businesses applied and together received almost half a million euro towards their lighting upgrade projects. This resulted in cost savings of over €540,000 for those companies. Given the success of our pilot scheme, we have launched a new grant for SMEs called the 'Lighting support scheme'. Applications are now open.
We want to help SMEs reduce energy use and costs, making them more competitive. Our new SME lighting grant will support you in upgrading your lighting. This can reduce your lighting electricity costs by up to 90%.
Lighting is a significant cost for many SMEs, and is the second highest cost for many businesses after staff costs. New developments in lighting technology, particularly Light Emitting Diode (LED) technology, means that businesses can reduce their lighting bills by up to 60% or more.
Upgrade to energy efficient lighting
The standard level of support available to organisations meeting the requirements is as follows:
- 30% of eligible approved cost for a standard like for like replacement upgrade in a single facility or grouped application
- 35% of eligible approved costs where the application comprises a grouped application and includes smart metering. It should also involve a simple photometric design or analysis, delivering the optimum lighting solution, in terms of lighting and controls upgrades.
Technologies covered include
- New energy efficient light products which are on the Triple E register
- Lighting controls
Who should apply?
- SMEs with less than 250 employees across all sectors are eligible to apply.
- Your annual turnover must not exceed €50 million.
- Applications must entail a whole building or facility. This includes lighting upgrades undertaken in all service areas within the building. While emergency lighting can be included in any proposal it is not a mandatory of a whole facility retrofit given the low burn hours associated with such lighting.
How to apply
To be considered SME applicants must do the following:
- Download and complete the application form.
- Complete either a simple lighting evaluation (using the Lighting Upgrade Calculation Tool), or a detailed lighting evaluation (using the Lighting Replacement Calculation Tool). The simple workbook can be used for 'like-for-like' replacements. Lighting suppliers own proprietary workbooks can also be used.
- To claim energy credits a newly developed SEAI Energy Credits Calculation Workbook must be completed.
- Provide a schedule of light fittings in a workbook or other format of lamps being replaced and detail the costs associated with each fitting replacement.
Submit all of the above to email@example.com . Once we receive your application, an acknowledgement email will issued within five working days.
Dates to remember
- **This scheme is now closed for applications**
- Your lighting project must to be fully completed and a claim for payment submitted by the 14th September 2018.