SEAI is calling on the public to make one or more commitments to themselves and their environment for 2018. SEAI has suggested ten resolutions and is hoping that every Irish person will take up the challenge. By doing so individuals can save themselves money, become better informed and help to change Ireland’s energy use for the better.
- Lower your thermostat. Would you notice one degree less heat? Do you know that 20oC is an ideal room temperature for most? This year promise yourself that you will give it a go. Lowering your thermostat by just 1oC could knock up to 10% off your heating bill, saving around €150 in a typical family home.
- Make that call for a boiler service. A safe, reliable and efficient boiler could knock a healthy chunk off your heating bills.
- Visit SEAI.ie and see the range of grants available for your home. Insulating your attic and walls will make your home a lot more comfortable and could save you 30-40% on your home heating bill. Grants for insulation, as well as home heating upgrades, are available from SEAI with quick online approval available.
- Look at smart heating controls. There are plenty of smart technologies that allow you to control your home heating remotely or from your phone. This improves your home’s efficiency and gives you more control over costs and more comfort. Look at the range of offers available from energy suppliers this year.
- Investigate renewable heating. Renewable energy reduces harmful greenhouse gas emissions and is part of our future energy mix. This year make a commitment that you will check out renewable heating options for your home. The good news is solar heating already qualifies for a grant, as will heat pumps from April.
- Test drive an electric vehicle. Don’t rely on what others tell you. Go see the real thing for yourself, understand the grants available and the huge savings in running costs you could achieve.
- Bring your community on board. If you are part of a community group or residents association, then why not look into how you can become part of the SEAI’s Sustainable Energy Communities network and bring even greater savings for your whole community.
- Make your business more energy efficient. If you run a business and find your energy bills excessive then this year make it your business to talk to SEAI about how we can help you identify cost saving solutions and provide support and assistance to take the necessary steps.
- Help a relative or neighbour. Do you have a relative or neighbour who may be living in, or at risk of, energy poverty? Why not help them this year by checking out SEAI’s Warmer Homes Scheme which funds energy efficiency upgrades to improve the health and wellbeing of this vulnerable group.
- Get informed. Ireland is changing and the next decade will see a dramatic shift in how we use energy. Make 2018 the year that you take part in this debate by being informed on the choices available. We all have a say in what our energy future will look like - and we have a responsibility to act.
Ultimately, your energy use matters, so use less and use clean for 2018.
For more energy saving tips and advice, visit www.seai.ie
For further information or to arrange an interview, please contact:
Johnny Fallon, Carr Communications, 085 889 5103 or email@example.com
Áine Roddy, Carr Communications, 087 777 3688 or firstname.lastname@example.org