Keep the heat in your home with our range of attic and wall insulation grants.

The benefits

Insulation grant values

Energy Efficient MeasuresGrant Value
Attic / rafter insulation €300
Cavity wall insulation €300
Internal Insulation (Dry Lining Insulation)  
Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace house €1,200
Semi-detached OR end of terrace €1,800
Detached house €2,400
External Wall Insulation (The Wrap)  
Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace House €2,750
Semi-detached OR End of terrace €4,500
Detached house €6,000

Do more, receive more

If you complete three measures your grant value will be increased by €300. If you complete four measures your grant value will be increased by an additional €100. A total of €400.

Insulation types

Attic / Rafter insulation

Ceiling level roof insulation is generally the most cost effective of any energy efficiency upgrade made to a house. Even if you have some attic or rafter insulation you should upgrade it to today's standard of 300mm of rockwool or equivalent.

Cavity wall insulation

A cavity wall consists of two rows of brick or concrete block with a cavity or space between them. Injection of insulating product from the outside is the best method for insulating this type of wall. This is a very cost effective method of wall insulation. If your home is built using solid wall or hollow block construction methods, cavity fill insulation is not possible. You have two options: either internal wall insulation or external wall insulation.

Internal wall insulation (Dry lining insulation)

Internal insulation is also known as dry lining insulation. This usually involves fixing composite insulation board containing insulation, a vapour barrier and plasterboard to the wall. The board is applied to the inside of the external walls.

External wall insulation

External insulation involves fixing insulating materials such as mineral wool or expanded polystyrene slabs to the outer surface of the wall. The insulation is then covered with a special render to provide weather resistance. A steel or fibreglass mesh is embedded to provide strength and impact resistance.

Planning considerations

In some cases external insulation may require planning permission e.g. protected structures, architectural conservation areas or where the works result in an alteration in the front profile of the property. Planning permission is not required for internal or cavity insulation. Please check with your registered contractor or local planning authority.

Who can apply

All homeowners, including landlords, whose homes were built and occupied before 2006 can apply. Homes built from 2006 onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and should not need significant upgrades. This is defined as the date your electricity meter was installed.

How to apply

  1. Find out more about how you can apply for a Better Energy Home grant
  2. Ready to apply? Start your application online


You must complete the works and submit the paperwork within 6 months from the date of the grant offer. You can find the expiry date in your offer letter.

Contact us

Call 01 808 2100