Free Energy Upgrades
This free home energy upgrade service is available for qualifying homeowners. Check to see if you can apply.
About the scheme
We deliver fully funded energy upgrades to homeowners who receive certain welfare payments. If you qualify for the scheme we can help to make your home warmer, healthier, and cheaper to run.
Changes as of 8th Feb 2022
The scheme will target the worst performing properties, by prioritising homes that were built and occupied before 1993 and have a pre-works BER of E, F or G. Existing applications will not be affected by this change. For the first time, applications will be accepted from qualifying homeowners who previously received supports under the scheme, but who could still benefit from even deeper measures. The scheme eligibility criteria will also be extended to include those in receipt of the Disability Allowance for over 6 months and have a child under 7 years.
The scheme is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Union Regional Development Fund.
An SEAI surveyor will recommend upgrades that are suitable for your property. These will be based on factors such as its age, size, existing heating system and condition. Upgrades offered under the scheme include:
- Attic insulation
- Cavity wall insulation
- External wall insulation
- Internal wall insulation
- Secondary work such as lagging jackets, draught proofing and energy efficient lighting
- New heating systems and windows are occasionally recommended
Who can apply
You need to meet these 3 criteria to apply for the Fully Funded Energy Upgrade Scheme.
1. You must own and live in your own home
This must be your main residence, where you live most days of the week
2. Your home was built and occupied before 2006
This means the ESB meter was connected and property lived in prior to 2006
3. You receive one of the following welfare payments
How the service works
- You apply to SEAI and we check to see if you qualify
- If you are eligible, an SEAI surveyor surveys your home to make upgrade recommendations
- A contractor is appointed from SEAI's panel to carry out the upgrade works
- After the works are completed our energy assessment team will carry out a BER assessment. There may also be quality inspections.
How to apply
- Read the Scheme and Application Guidelines
- Complete the Application Form and, if relevant, the Carers Allowance Confirmation Form
- Have the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) complete the relevant section of the application form
- Submit your application by post to;
Free Energy Upgrades
Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
PO BOX 119
Applications are dealt with on a first-come, first-served basis. Normal waiting times, from application to completion of works, are between 18 and 24 months. Current waiting times vary due to;
- COVID-19 public health guidelines
- demand for the scheme at the time of application