The SEAI National Energy Research Development and Demonstration (RD&D) Funding Programme invests in innovative energy RD&D projects which contribute to Ireland's transition to a clean and secure energy future.
SEAI RD&D funding programme
Our key programme objectives include the following:
- Accelerate the development and deployment in the Irish marketplace of competitive energy-related products, processes and systems
- Support solutions that enable technical and other barriers to market uptake to be overcome
- Grow Ireland's national capacity to access, develop and apply international class RD&D
- Provide guidance and support to policy makers and public bodies through results, outcomes and learning from supported energy projects
The programme supports innovative and targeted actions in Research, Development & Demonstration to assist in the delivery of the following:
2019 SEAI national energy research funding call
|2019 SEAI RD&D Funding Call Open||Monday, 21st of January 2019|
|Application Portal (PEP) - NOW CLOSED||https://pepportal.seai.ie/|
|Deadline for Submission of applications & Call Close||3pm on Thursday, 7th of March 2019|
Who can avail of the programme
Applications will be accepted from:
- Research Performing Organisations (e.g. universities, Institutes of Technology and Publically Funded Research Institutions)
- Public Sector Bodies
- Semi-State Bodies
Your organisation may apply to the Programme individually or as part of a consortium. Applications will only be accepted by organisations based in the Republic of Ireland.
What projects are eligible
The 2019 SEAI RD&D Funding Programme provides the opportunity for applicants to submit proposals to either a topic strand or open strand.
The Open Strand provides an opportunity for applicants to propose projects within SEAI’s legal remit which directly address the aims and objectives of the SEAI RD&D Funding Programme Call. This strand is open to all areas of SEAI’s legal remit including ocean energy.
The Topic Strand provides an opportunity for applicants to submit proposals that address the requirements of the topics outlined in the Call document.
Levels of funding available
The level of funding available ranges from €100,000 for projects of less than one year duration up to €650,000 for projects of up to four years. The table below provides a more accurate overview of the durations and levels of funding available.
|Scale/Type||Typical Duration||Typical Maximum SEAI Funding|
|Small Scale||Up to 12 months||Up to €100,000|
|Medium Scale||12 - 36 months||Up to €350,000|
|Large Scale||36 - 48 months||Up to €650,000|
|RPO Fellowships||12 - 36 months||Up to €250,000|
|SEAI-based Fellowships||36 months||Up to €250,000|
EU state aid rules stipulate:
- what types of research activities are eligible for support
- which costs relating to these activities may be covered in part or in full (ranging from 25% up to 100%)
- the maximum aid intensity that may be granted for the various activities
Applicants should refer to the SEAI RD&D Budget Policy for additional information in relation to which category their project falls under. This will be available for download at call launch
Submitting your application
Applications should be submitted using SEAI's Project Evaluation Platform (PEP).
PEP is now Closed for applications.
Please see the PEP application guidelines available for download in the programme documents section.
Evaluation process and criteria
Only fully complete applications received prior to the application deadline will be considered for evaluation. Applications will be assessed under three evaluation criteria as follows:
- Excellence and Innovation (40%)
- Relevance and Impact (30%)
- Quality and Efficiency of Implementation (including value for money) (30%)
If you have any queries on the SEAI RD&D Funding Programme please contact EnergyResearch@seai.ie