The RD&D Funding Programme invests in innovative energy Research, Development and Demonstration projects which contribute to Ireland's transition to a clean and secure energy future.
RD&D Funding Programme
Our key programme objectives include the following:
- Accelerate the development and deployment in the Irish marketplace of competitive energy-related products, processes and systems
- Support solutions that enable technical and other barriers to market uptake to be overcome
- Grow Ireland's national capacity to access, develop and apply international class RD&D
- Provide guidance and support to policy makers and public bodies through results, outcomes and learning from supported energy projects
The programme supports innovative and targeted actions in RD&D to assist in the delivery of the following:
2018 RD&D Funding Call
The 2018 RD&D funding call closed on the 29th of March and the evaluation process is now underway.
Who can avail of the programme
Applications will be accepted from:
- Research Performing Organisations (e.g. Universities, Institutes of Technology and Publically Funded Research Institutions)
- Public Sector Bodies
- Semi-State Bodies
You may apply to the Programme individually or as part of a consortium. Applications will only be accepted by organisations based in the Republic of Ireland.
What projects are eligible
The 2018 Funding Programme provides the opportunity for applicants to submit proposals to either a thematic strand or open strand.
The Open Strand provides an opportunity for applicants to propose projects within SEAI’s legal remit which directly address the aims and objectives of the SEAI RD&D Funding Programme Call.
The Thematic Strand provides an opportunity for applicants to submit proposals that address the requirements of the topics outlined in the Call document.
Evaluation process and criteria
Only fully complete applications received prior to the application deadline will be considered for evaluation. The evaluation process will normally take approximately 8 to 12 weeks. Applications will be assessed under three evaluation criteria
- Excellence and Innovation (40%)
- Relevance and Impact (30%)
- Quality and Efficiency of Implementation (including value for money) (30%)
Levels of Funding Available
The level of funding available ranges from €10,000 for projects of less than one year duration up to €650,000 for projects of up to four years. The table below provides a more accurate overview of the durations and levels of funding available.
|Scale /Type||Typical duration||Typical Maximum SEAI funding|
|Small scale||Up to 12 months||Up to €100,000|
|Medium scale||12-36 months||Up to €350,000|
|Large scale||36-48 months||Up to €650,000|
|Fellowships||12-36 months||Up to €250,000|
How to apply
Submitting your application
Applications must be submitted through SEAI’s online Project Evaluation Platform (PEP). Applications will not be accepted by email. Please see the 2018 RD&D Call Document for instructions on submitting your application to PEP.
The deadline for submission of applications is Thursday 29th March 2018 at 5pm.Apply Now
EU state aid rules stipulate:
- what types of research activities are eligible for support
- which costs relating to these activities may be covered in part or in full (ranging from 25% up to 100%)
- the maximum aid intensity that may be granted for the various activities
Applicants should refer to the SEAI RD&D Budget Policy for additional information in relation to which category their project falls under.
RD&D Funding Webinars