The Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure is Ireland's official method for calculating the Building Energy Rating of new and existing dwellings.
Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) is a software and manual which calculates energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions. It considers space heating, ventilation, water heating and lighting in a dwelling. DEAP is free to download but be sure to view the terms and conditions within the links below before downloading.
DEAP is used by registered BER Assessors to calculate the BER of new and existing dwellings and to demonstrate compliance with aspects of the Building Regulations. You can learn how to use DEAP by undertaking a training course and registering as a BER assessor.
DEAP Tools and Information
We recommend that you consult the DEAP Technical Bulletins before contacting us.
- DEAP Domestic Technical Bulletins
- DEAP 4.2.0 Release Bulletin
- DEAP Domestic Technical Bulletin, July 2020
Heat Pump Systems
The sign off form is be completed by the heating system designer/installer for the dwelling being assessed.
Guidance on the heat loss calculation and radiator sizing/verification for heat pump systems.
DEAP Heat Pump Methodology 2020
A calculator has been developed to allow the following heat pump systems to be included in Domestic BER assessments:
- Low Temperature heat pumps,
- Gas adsorption/absorption peat humps,
- Direct Exchange (DX) heat pumps,
- Exhaust Air-to-Air heat pumps,
- Multiple Heat Pump Arrangements
Please note that this calculator and its accompanying guidance only apply to these listed systems.
The calculator must be used when calculating efficiencies for the listed systems for use in residential BER assessments and/or Part L compliance solutions.
The following documents have been developed to support the entry of the systems described above:
Please note: The guidance in Appendix G of the DEAP manual continues to apply.
The majority of heat pump systems can still be entered directly into DEAP 4 without the use of the new calculator. Only the systems listed above require the use of the new calculator.
Heat pumps Consultation
SEAI sought feedback via a public consultation on proposed changes to the methodology and calculations for heat pumps entered in DEAP assessments for BERs and Part L compliance checking in dwellings. The consultation period ended on the 17th of May.
Solar Space Heating - Group Systems
This guidance and calculator helps BER assessors determine the solar contribution from a group solar space heating system that applies to an individual dwelling linked to that system.
Solar Space Heating - Individual Systems
This guidance and calculator helps BER assessors account for the contribution of active solar thermal systems to both domestic hot water and space heating requirements of a dwelling.
This guidance and application helps BER assessors to calculate a non-default Thermal Bridging Factor for use in DEAP.
Technical Guidance Document L- Conservation of Fuel and Energy in Dwellings
Below are six worked examples from Appendix E of the Part L and European Union (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations 2019 Technical Guidance Document.
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example A
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example B
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example C
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example D
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example E
- DEAP 4.2.0 TGDL 2019 Example F
DEAP Water Efficiency Calculator
Water efficiency calculation methodology for assessing the whole-house potable water consumption in the dwelling.
DEAP Calculator for Elements Adjacent to Unheated Spaces
This calculator is used to enable the calculation of the resultant U value of an element adjacent to unheated spaces in the DEAP software
Energy Show 2019 Presentations
- Updates to DEAP Calculation and DEAP Methodology Updates for NZEB
- TDG Part L 2019, New Dwellings and Major Renovations
Resources for the Updated Advisory Report
- Updated Advisory Report Technical Guidance Document for BER Assessors
- Advisoy Report Training Webinar Presentation Slides (in read only format)
- Advisory Report FAQs for BER Assessors from the Advisory Report Training Webinars
- DEAP Electricity Factors provides current and historical electricity primary energy and carbon dioxide factors for inclusion in DEAP calculations.
- NAS Error Notices provides information on NAS error message or notices, that appear when publishing a BER assessment from NAS
- Domestic Fuel Cost Comparison provides information on the comparison of energy costs and the comparison of useful energy costs for space heating.
- National BER Research Tool gives researchers access to statistical data from the BER scheme.
- Domestic BER Statistics are updated monthly and show the total number of BERs published in Ireland.
- Request for SEAI Property Reference Number (Form FO11)
- Direct Debit Mandate
- BER Insurance Form
- BER Privacy Notice details the rights available to you in relation to how we hold and use your Personal Data
- BER Domestic Assessor Videos
- BER Homeowners Checklist is a tool to help Homeowners prepare for their assessment before the assessor calls to their home
- Brexit Guidance for BER assessors: regarding the brexit transition period which ended on the 31st of December 2020