A high level overview of the requirements for a successful Better Energy Communities funding application and project.
700Direct and indirect jobs supported
300+Projects supported since 2012
Developing a successful BEC project
By supporting project structures that can be easily replicated, we hope to showcase project models that can be implemented without SEAI support in the future.
Types of projects we will fund
- Community benefits
- Multiple elements
- Mix of sustainable solutions
- A clear road map
- Project ambition
- Justified energy savings
- An ability to deliver the project
BEC 2018 funding levels
Better Energy Communities upgrades can take place across building types to reduce energy use and costs throughout the community.
|Home type||Fuel type||Funding Level|
|Private||Fuel Poor||Up to 80%|
|Private||Non-Fuel Poor||Up to 35%|
|Local Authority||Up to 35%|
|Housing Association||Up to 50%|
|Deep Retrofit (BER A3)||+ 15%|
|Not-for-profit/community||Up to 50%|
|Private and public sector||Up to 30%|
|Public sector (exemplar)||> 30% ≤ 50%|
How we evaluate projects
Value for money
- Value to the Irish State
- Energy savings achieved
- Calculation methodology
Quality and delivery
- Delivery commitment
- Robust project planning
- Submission and project quality
- Procurement process
How to apply
The application deadline has now passed for 2018. No reason why you can't familiarise yourself with our application process and be prepared for 2019.
Read the guide to completing your application.
Standards and requirements
In order to secure funding, we require that each project follows the standards and requirements outlined below.
- Prescribed standards – SEAI Contractor Code of Practice and Building Regulations
- All contractors should be registered with SEAI (where applicable)
- Optimal solution must be implemented
- Minimum post BER uplift of 150-200kWh/m2 /Yr
- Average final BER should better than C3 rating
- Representative sample of BERs required at application stage
- A pre BER and post BER should be published for all homes, this will be supported under BEC