Use these guidance documents to ensure the works you carry out under the Better Energy Homes scheme meet the required SEAI Standards.
Quality of service
The quality of service delivery is central to the reputation and effectiveness of all home energy efficient works supported by SEAI. We have put together a number of supports and guidance documents that will help you complete your work to the required standard. Following these guidelines will benefit your reputation and help grow your business.
Support and guidance documents
Code of Practice and Technical Specification (COP)
The Code of Practice and Technical Specification details the SEAI standards for the Better Energy programmes. A Contractor wishing to enter the list of Registered Contractors must have the minimum levels of competency and commit to supplying materials and equipment and to perform the works to the defined standards. The COP is based on S.R.54:2014 "Code of Practice for the Energy Efficient Retrofit of Dwellings".
Quality Assurance and Disciplinary Procedures (QADP)
The Quality Assurance and Disciplinary Procedures (QADP) document details the quality assurance procedures that are in place to govern the Better Energy programmes, including the reworks process. Here you will find a useful Inspector's checklist that will help you snag your own work.
Additional information for contractors
This document contains additional technical information that is not covered in the Code of Practice and QADP. It includes revisions to the SEAI programme standards that must also be adhered to in conjunction with the Code of Practice and QADP documents.
If you wish to appeal an Inspector's decision you must use this form. It is important to note that if you don't complete the works to the standards in the documents above, you will receive a request to complete reworks to bring the works to the specified SEAI standard.
Technical guidance and safety notices
Heat Pump System
Contractor Quick Guide
Heat Pump Designer/Installer Sign Off Sheet
The two worksheets in the Better Energy Homes Heat Pump Designer Installer Sign Off Sheet must be completed by the registered contractor. For the heat pump systems installed under Better Energy Homes, these are equivalent to the “Designer Installer Sign Off Form” required for the purpose of the BER.
Heat Pump Association of Ireland Installation Guidelines - DRAFT
The draft HPAI Installation guidelines, developed by the Heat Pump Association of Ireland, contain important technical guidance for the installation of heat pump systems.
Solar technical guidance and calculator
- Solar Installers Note: Guidance on achieving compliance
- Solar Hot Water Compliance Calculator
- Solar Commissioning Report
- Solar Thermal registered product list
In accordance with the Better Energy programmes Code of Practice and Technical Specifications, contractors must only install products listed on the Solar Thermal SEAI Registered List. Please note that even if the solar collector is listed on the Solar Thermal SEAI Registered List, this does not mean that a specific product will meet the sizing requirement of the grant. Contractors are required to select the appropriate product that will meet the required specifications of the grant programme.
Important safety notices that must be signed by homeowner
- Solar Hot Water and Heating Safety Notice
- Mechanical Extract Ventilation Safety Notice
- Electrical Works Safety Notice
- Bord Gais External Wall Insulation Guidelines
How thermal efficiency of traditionally built buildings can be enhanced, whilst maintaining the conservation of architectural heritage.
Marketing guidance and use of logos
- It is not permitted to use the SEAI logo and Better Energy logo on any publication or visual medium, in relation to the Better Energy Homes programme. This includes print and broadcast advertising, brochures, flyers, direct mail, point of sale material, online collateral, branded vehicles and phone directories.
- No references may be made to SEAI or the Better Energy programme, which may infer any form of endorsement.
- Where a contractor is SEAI registered, the following statement may be included; ‘[Company Name] is a registered contractor under the Better Energy Homes programme’.