Keep the heat in your home with our range of insulation grants.

The benefits

Insulation grant values

Energy UpgradesGrant Value
Attic insulation €400
Cavity wall insulation €400
Internal Insulation (Dry Lining)  
Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace house €1,600
Semi-detached OR end of terrace €2,200
Detached house €2,400
External Wall Insulation (The Wrap)  
Apartment (any) OR Mid-terrace House €2,750
Semi-detached OR End of terrace €4,500
Detached house €6,000

Do more, receive more

If you complete three upgrades your grant value will be increased by €300. If you complete four upgrades your grant value will be increased by an additional €100. A total of €400.

Insulation types

Attic insulation

Ceiling level roof insulation is generally the most cost effective of any energy efficiency upgrade made to a house. Even if you have some attic insulation you should upgrade it to today's standard of 300mm of rockwool or equivalent.

Cavity wall insulation

A cavity wall consists of two rows of brick or concrete block with a cavity or space between them. Injection of insulating product from the outside is the best method for insulating this type of wall. This is a very cost effective method of wall insulation. If your home is built using solid wall or hollow block construction methods, cavity fill insulation is not possible. You have two options: either internal wall insulation or external wall insulation.

Internal wall insulation

Internal insulation is also known as dry lining. This usually involves fixing composite insulation board containing insulation, a vapour barrier and plasterboard to the wall. The board is applied to the inside of the external walls.

External wall insulation

External insulation involves fixing insulating materials such as mineral wool or expanded polystyrene slabs to the outer surface of the wall. The insulation is then covered with a special render to provide weather resistance. A steel or fibreglass mesh is embedded to provide strength and impact resistance.

New Building Regulations (Part L)

The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government is introducing new Building Regulations (Part L) that come into force on 1st November 2019.

The new Building Regulations require that after any alteration to a minimum of 25% of your home’s surface area, your home either achieves a minimum B2 BER rating or your heating system and attic insulation comply with the Building Regulation standards.

If you are applying for an SEAI grant for External or Internal Wall Insulation and you commence works after 1st November 2019 you will be required to comply with these new Building Regulations as a condition of your grant payment.

Planning considerations

In some cases external insulation may require planning permission e.g. protected structures, architectural conservation areas or where the works result in an alteration in the front profile of the property. Planning permission is not required for internal or cavity insulation. Please check with your registered contractor or local planning authority.


Who can apply

All homeowners, including landlords, whose homes were built and occupied before 2006 can apply. Homes built from 2006 onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and should not need significant upgrades. This is defined as the date your electricity meter was installed.

How to apply

  1. Find out more about how you can apply for a home energy grant
  2. Ready to apply? Start your application online


You must complete the works and submit the paperwork within 8 months from the date of the grant offer. You can find the expiry date in your offer letter.

Free upgrades for eligible homes

If your home was built and occupied before 2006 and you are in receipt of social welfare payments, you may be eligible for free energy efficiency improvements.

Contact us

Call 1850 927 000